Thursday, May 13, 2010

Busan: Jagalchi Again!





We will leave for Gyeongju after lunch, but we have yet to cover many other places in Busan. We debated and agonized over whether to spend another day in Busan, at the expense of Gyeongju. Notwithstanding, we chose to spend what we have of our third and last day in Busan at one place – Jagalchi again!

We went in the morning, too late to watch fishing boats being unloaded at the docks. But it was a treat to see the street vendors selling fish, octopus, shellfish and just about every sea creature in existence. A more organized market is within the famous Jagalchi Market building – huge, brightly lit, with tanks and shelves full of all kinds of sea creatures. Never have I seen so many variety of seafood, such large size prawns, fishes, octopus....and such strange and weird creatures. They all smell fresh, ocean fresh.

On our way out, shops with dried sea produce – seaweeds, dried fishes and sea creatures....lined the streets. 

For those of you who know me, I used to go wild when I go to a market and usually buy more than I can consume. I am much more restrained now, but here in Jagalchi, once again, I had that impulse to buy everything, if only I have a place to cook, if only I know how to handle all these creatures.


The photo with the orange looking thing is one example of a sea creature. Guess what it is like when ready for consumption? Watch for the post on Noryangjin, a large seafood market in Seoul, where we get to eat this.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, this is J's one of the favorite places, or the most favorite place in Busan, ha ha!

    The orange looking thing is called 멍게 in Korean. Meong-gae(멍게) is good for your health, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, all markets are sacred place for the food god.

    Kim talked a lot about the health effect of many Korean food along the trip. I wish to know more and love to eat healthily everyday, to live to 200......how?

    ReplyDelete